Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pushing and cutting science, all at the same time

I've noticed an underlying dichotomy through my research experience this summer. It's a paradoxical state that is brought up every week during our faculty lecture dinners. Every Monday, we have one of the Einstein faculty give us a short presentation on their work and sometimes their lives in science. The talks have ranged from fascinating to yawn-inducing, but one small issue remains a constant thorn in the back of my mind- there just isn't much money devoted to research anymore.

Maybe I should go into finance instead? One
problem.... I don't really like math for the sake
of math.....
If you have any experience in research, you may have heard the dreaded word 'sequestration' thrown around. The basic facts are that the US government is mandating that NIH (National Institutes of Health) cut all programs by 5%. That may not seem like a lot, but check the impacts that this will make on all research, particularly medical. All around the nation, newly minted PhDs are struggling to find positions of any sort in academia. Well-established labs are cutting back on personnel or sometimes even disbanding altogether. In an age when we have the technology to approach some of the most difficult scientific problems, we simply wont put the money into completing the necessary research. I kid you not, one of our weekly presenters nearly broke down and cried when he started to discuss the tremendous impact the sequestration and other economic changes are having on basic laboratory science.

This is all very depressing and dissuading for people like me and the others at this program, but you may be wondering how this amounts to a paradox. The paradox is that grade schools and undergraduate programs are constantly pushing for students to go into the sciences. There are countless programs driven at getting women, underrepresented minorities, and everyone else into some sort of science career. Scholarships, awards, and specialty programs are all being driven to get the next generation of scientists out there. A next generation that has almost no financial support when they complete their years of rigorous schooling/training.
Fellow SURP students out for dinner in Little Italy in the Bronx.
Why are we pushing science so hard, if there will be no career at the end of all this hard work? Scientists in training spend years learning techniques, reading difficult technical papers, and foregoing many social experiences in order to stay in and study for those requisite top grades. But at the end of this long arduous path is... nothing. Or not much, at least. Because of cut funding, programs have become highly selective and end up not taking many bright, hardworking students simply because they cannot afford it. So much hard work for a rapidly shrinking payoff. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!
I'll just wash away my depression at the current
state of affairs away with delicious independently
brewed beer! ...Just kidding, that's what alcoholics
do. I drink to celebrate!

Ok, all funding cuts to education tend to get me pretty annoyed but this one in particular is affecting my future. A future that is approaching very quickly as I will be graduating next spring. If there's no funding in science, how can we expect my graduating class to actually want to stay in their research fields? I'm still at a loss for how the next few years of my life will progress. I LOVE neuroscience research, but I'm not the top student at my university and I don't know how competitive I'll be for graduate programs.

I'd like to wrap this post up with a hopeful note saying "I'm sure to persevere" but the truth is, I don't know what awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment