Thursday, March 29, 2012

Science on the Radio

I'll be the first to admit that I'm in love with NPR.  My childhood revolves around car trips listening to Prairie Home Companion and long summer afternoons in the garage surviving the Texas sweltering heat by turning up Car Talk.  But while these will always be a part of my identity and connection to my family, I've found a whole new program which meshes beautifully with my passion for neuroscience.  I am referring to, of course, the wonderful programming of radiolab.

I first heard the program while driving home on a pleasant spring day.  It was either their program on sleep or stress but what I really recall was my inability to tear my ears away from the speakers.  I rushed indoors and immediately turned on the stereo inside the house, not wanting to risk missing a single bit.

Really, I just can't support the program enough.  Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich have this great interplay between each other.  One plays the cynic while the other holds out for the brightest conclusion on the many scientific discoveries and experiments explored in the show.  I love that they characterize inanimate things like genes to make biological processes become a beautifully woven story.  I would kill to become one of their researchers and get to interview all the fascinating folks of the science world which they bring in.

I'm sure I seem to be rambling but if you're reading my blog I assume you have an interest in biology or neuroscience or just like to expand your horizons.  If any of these are true, I highly suggest tuning into radiolab.  You can get free podcast versions on itunes, play them directly from the sight, or donate to WNYC to help support the show and get several episodes on a complimentary thumbdrive.

Let's support those who help bring science into the modern world!  It's a complicated story but when told right, it becomes a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment