Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Blame my genetics

I must say, for as hard as I work out I'm always sorely tempted to over eat.  There are so many savory, delicious places to eat in Austin that I'm only beginning to discover.  Gourdough's elaborate donuts covered in all sorts of things (brownies, bacon, gummy worms and more!)  But while I can get myself to salivate over these fabulous treats, I know I can make myself sick from eating too much.  But not everyone can sense that line of where to stop and it's in part due to their genetics.
An example of Gourdough's extravagant donuts.

And while  know the idea that genetics controls your overall body type and weight, I never understood the specifics until now.  Gordon Kennedy was the first to describe the "lipostatic hypothesis" which states brain receives signals about the fat storage of the body and tries to keep it in equilibrium with either feeding behavior or lack of eating.

But sometimes the brain can't receive this signal.  Certain genetic variations lack a specific piece of code that produces a protein.  This protein, now known as leptin, sends the message to the brain that you're full and to stop eating behavior.  But if you lack the genetic code to produce leptin, you're brain thinks you are in a constant state of starvation.  Not only do you feel constantly hungry, your metabolism slows down (as if you are trying to hang on to those last bit of energy producing fat).

Now I'm not here to say that this explains the obesity epidemic in America.   A complete genetic knockout of leptin is fairly rare and can be treated with hormonal replacement therapy.  And of course there are numerous other processes, both in the brain and the gut, that regulate body shape.  But I find it fascinating that we don't have as much control over our appetite.
With all the current hype on the
movie, I couldn't help including
one of my favorite books.

And a special shout out to my friends cutting weight for Taekwondo National Collegiate Competition.  You might be fighting your genetic homeostasis but those few pounds lost will make all the difference in the ring!  Not to mention, we'll be sure to indulge in some of the best food Austin has to offer to bring those leptin levels back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment