Sunday, April 3, 2011

Taniguchi Gardens

Let's be honest, I'm a huge Japanese culture aficionado.  My name in my world lit class isn't Wolf, but the Japanese translation of Ookami.  My mom and I make it a habit to go out for dinner and order sushi.  And, when I have the spare time, I love to watch anime in its original language.  So yes, I am big on Japanese culture.  Yet, I can't help but still feel an outsider to some of their customs and traditions.  Unlike introverts, I have trouble finding an inner calm to quiet my restless spirit.  Meditating this semester in class has helped some but I still get antsy after too long.  I'm looking forward to our visit to the Taniguchi Gardens for this very reason.
My friend actually painted this piece and to me, it seems to represent how
all growth stems from the flow of water.
http://guard5girl5geek.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d36f864
"The gurgling sound of the water was healing.  The stillness of the ponds was calming." (224)

The one thing I have found able to put me at ease is water.  For all my fiery personality type, I absolutely adore swimming, floating, and otherwise relaxing in water.  It's probably because of the Texan heat, which doesn't allow for much activity outside during the summer unless water is involved but almost all of my best memories are associated with the substance.  Certainly, there are times when I'm just romping around in the waves of the ocean with my little brother or kayaking across town lake to spy what's around the next bend.  But I have many more quiet moments as well.  My Dad taught me to appreciate our pool at nighttime.  To go float in the water right after sunset and watch the shooting stars is a spiritual activity akin to attending church.  Hence, I can only infer what beauty we'll discover in Zilker's botanical gardens.  I'm sure we'll honor Isamu Taniguchi's wishes in that "It is my wish you have pleasant communion with the spirit of the garden." (214)
A garden is an interesting synthesis between our need for order and the search for natural beauty.
http://www.helloaustin.com/media/articles/large/5236_image3_large.jpg
On a rather less related note, I think it is important that while we visit and meditate at the gardens, we focus on the tragedy that Japan is still facing.  While news coverage of the aftermath of the tsunami that hit Japan's shores has waned, the damage seems to still be increasing.  And just look at the statistics.  "The bomb dropped at Hiroshima had less than 2% of the power of one of the thousands of nuclear devices in the world today." (216)  That was a localized, wartime disaster.  In a way, it could be expected as part of the total war both sides engaged in during the 1940s. But now they are facing an even more widespread crisis with the nuclear generators.  And as the 3rd largest economy in the world, we can't claim what happens over there wont effect us financially or emotionally.  I urge any and all readers of this blog to please, please find a way to donate to Japan and help the lives of millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment