Saturday, April 23, 2011

Books, books- as far as the eye can see

Although Margaret Atwood's The Handmaids Tale focuses primarily on the socially constructed layers of dystopian society of Gilead, the means by which different classes are controlled is of high interest for me.  In particular, the restrictions from reading for all women strikes me as one of the most horrible restrictions possible.  What can I say?  I'm an avid reader myself and simply the idea of such a life is terrifying in the extreme.  Just think about an average day and how often you read signs or e-mails or assignments or anything else for that matter.  Now take that all away.  Suddenly your range of knowledge can decreased to the small confines of pictographic representation.  So much is expressed in the written word and much of our collective knowledge is conveyed this way.  We read not only for pleasure but as social currency.  Just look at the world of Gilead- it doesn't function as a society but as a world of individuals (at least for the women) who must live in constant fear of the state.  They have no way to speak to each other or to relay written messages and hence become even more isolated.  In a world such as this, it's easy to understand Offred's intense emotions relating to something as simple as a pen.  "The pen between my fingers is sensuous, alive almost, I can feel its power, the power of the words it contains." (186)
An old children's game becomes a powerful symbol of control.
http://www.onlineusanews.com/scrabble-word-finder-8231.php
I'm also once again reminded of a twilight zone episode.  When something so integral to life pre-dystopia is removed, all that can be felt is longing for that which is missing.  It's not like Offred is of a generation that grew up in such a world and never learned to read.  She is a relic from the old world order and still feels the draw of its many opportunities.  And you can tell the longing she has for those days: "On these occasions I read quickly, voraciously, almost skimming, trying to get as much into my head as possible before the next long starvation." (184)


I know I keep stressing this point but I really can't imagine a world where reading is no longer allowed.  Or, where it's not allowed for women at least.  Men, in all their infinite power, are allowed this frivolities still.  I don't think Offred quite understood why forbidden the Commander's office is so forbidden until she actually entered it.  "Books and books and books, right out in plain view, no locks, no boxes.  No wonder we can't come in here." (137)  Imagine stumbling into a treasure trove of restricted items such as this.  It's like being in a candy store where you can smell the chocolate but have no money to purchase any.  I hate to be cliche but knowledge really is power.  And books are an excellent source of knowledge on all subjects.  Let's not waste the wealth of knowledge we can find in books.  I know I'm going to pick up a book right now.
Books are more than paper and ink, they represent the transference of ideas.
http://16thstreetj.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/books-pile.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment