Monday, February 14, 2011

Siddhartha

Although I've taken years of world history and learned about everywhere from Britain to the Republic of the Congo to China, I've never really considered the cultural standards and how they differ between locations.  We've always focused on the rise and fall of empires or the land conquered or even technological advancements.  But what has that got to do with the people actually living there?  Our cultural understanding of other belief systems and philosophies is sadly lacking.  Then again, I guess that makes sense with the Western train of thought.  We want to know what they did, not how or why.  Hence when confronted with a foreign style of thought, we're not quite sure how to respond.

"A goal stood before Siddhartha, a single goal: to become empty, empty of thirst, empty of wishing, empty of dreams, empty of joy and sorrow." (14)
Although this is actually an album cover, I thought it aptly described a path to emptying of the self.
http://aural-innovations.com/2009/july/siddhartha.html

After reading about Siddhartha's search to empty himself so completely of the self, I felt utterly baffled.  Why would you want to lose yourself?  The idea of being empty like that actually rather frightens me.  To have a lack of identity or individuality is the antithesis of what Western culture stands for.  I've always been taught to distinguish myself from others.  To stand out is the greatest honor you can achieve.  But here Siddhartha just wants to sink away into nothingness.  I'm still struggling to comprehend such an action.  I plan on making this new fodder to contemplate during meditation and perhaps learn to open myself up more to the idea of existing without the need to seek recognition.

"Everyone can preform magic, everyone can reach his goals, if he is able to think, if he is able to wait, if he is able to fast." (53)

Here, too, is another piece of wisdom that the West has trouble accepting though it's certainly easier to understand.  I'm not sure it's completely a modern invention but the idea of waiting is so very repugnant to our current society.  We are, after all, the fast food nation.  And it's not just edibles that we demand now- it's jobs, relationships, monetary rewards, and success.  There's some notion in us that says waiting is useless.  We must always act if we want to get that promotion or date or whatever.  I know I'm certainly extremely guilty of this.  In honor of valentine's day, I feel the need to bring up my personal story.

I've never been patient and for the most part that personality trait has been an asset.  It means I take initiative and go after things I want.  But, at the same time, I tend to ignore the things around me.  In perspective of today's holiday, that means I don't do well waiting to see if a guy likes me.  Usually I'll just go ahead and ask him out on a date or try to hang out and see if I can get a read on him.  But once again, I get impatient and want to know how he feels NOW.  That's when I get into trouble.  Rushing in headlong to ask someone flat out puts them on the spot and makes them uncomfortable.  It's rather unfair to demand a response like that, even if it's desperately what you want to know.  And if you move too quickly or directly, chances are they'll freak.  I'd rather not bring up specifics but I've had it happen.  And there's nothing worse than losing a potential friend because you had a crush and acted too quickly.  Sitting, waiting, and allowing time to work its magic often feels impossibly slow but it can also turn out for the best if you can control your impatience.
I love the butterfly shown here which represents the fragility of life.
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=siddhartha#/d19s7nm

"Slowly the disease of the soul, which rich people have, grabbed hold of him." (67)

This last bit isn't exactly Eastern philosophy but I think it's a challenge we all face.  Especially living in a developed country with global power status.  We're a consumer nation with the  majority of citizens well above the poverty line.  But being wealthy is no longer a way to be happy.  In fact, I don't think it ever was (although that was the American dream for far too long).  There's this train of thought that says "if only I was slightly richer, then I could do (fill in the blank here)."  It reminds me a bit of the musical number from Fiddler on the Roof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc).  But then we spend all our time working and working to make more money but we never slow back down to enjoy what successes we might have obtained.  Instead, we become sick with ourselves.  It's a vicious cycle particularly prevalent in first world countries.  I was amazed that Siddhartha managed to see what he lost and give up the decadent life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment