Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ESTJ- Extraverted Sensing Thinking Judging

For as scientifically driven that I claim to be, I can still be a complete sucker for things like horoscopes.  I've always agreed with the personality traits explained by my Aires sign, even the more negative ones.  But slowly my dependence on star signs and astrological hokum has waned.  However, my excitement at discovering my myers-briggs personality type is much the same as when I found out I was the year of the monkey- I just can't help but read as much literature as possible about the typology.
One of the suggested careers for my personality types is a management position.
http://www.swana.org/Education/TechnicalDivisions/PlanningManagement/tabid/109/Default.aspx
And as my title indicates, I'm an ESTJ.  I found it fascinating that I've shifted since the first time I took this test back in freshman year of high school.  Back then, I was labelled as an ENTJ.  According to my typology, it seems I've become a more linear, organized person.  And this makes perfect sense in my dealings with school because for me, "schedule is important, want a syllabus that is all explained clearly, spelled out." (307)  In case you haven't noticed, I obsessively keep track of all my various activities in a planner.  It's actually a habit I've carried since the beginning of high school and has certainly served me well.  I don't deal well with chaos in my schedule.  I'm a firm adherent to the idea that "one's work must be done before one rests or plays." (300)  In college life, this principle helps prevent me from falling into an apathy about grades.  On a campus as large as UT, there's always something interesting going on.  And even then, the city of Austin has practically a festival every week!  While it's fantastic to be at the center of so many cultural opportunities, I have to make sure that school stays my number one priority.

Another major component of my personality type is being "self-motivated."(309)  I'm all about getting the directions and then getting the assignment done.  If you don't believe me, just look how early I turn in all my DBs.  I can't stand waiting for the last minute because pressure just makes me feel tired, not motivated, for some strange reason.  So I'm usually the really annoying student in the class who gets everything done a week early.  Sorry about that guys.  It's just because I can't write or work any other way.
According to the personality test, I identify with the famous persona of Peanut's Lucy.
http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2011/2/7/30-seconds-to-summer-superbowl-leftovers-pt-1.html
Speaking of writing, according to our anthology "free writing is a good method of developing ideas, for extraverts will think better when writing quickly, impulsively, and uncritically." (311)I never really thought about it this way but I guess I do tend to do better when I'm just running it straight from my mind to the paper/computer screen.  It may not look the neatest but it's got all the key ideas I want to cover.  And I've been indulging in this form of writing since as long as I can remember.  In case I haven't brought it up before, I journal 2 pages every single night, without fail, and have done so for the past eight years.  It's usually just a rambling interpretation of my day but it makes me feel cleaned of the days events.  However, this stream of consciousness can also be troublesome for more formal essays.  "Some (esp. if J) may not revise unless they get spoken feedback." (311)  I have trouble seeing where I should cut extraneous information or where I need to elucidate the topic.  I'm forever grateful that we peer edit each other's essays so that I can get a grasp on which areas I need to correct.


So while I don't like admitting that my personality type isn't particularly innovative or free-wheeling, I definitely work to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment