Monday, June 24, 2013

A brief update

I've been wracking my brain for a topic for this past week to settle on and use as a theme. But after the constant flow of adventures, it has been practically impossible to pick anything to focus on! Practically every evening last week I was in "the city" on some expedition or another. So much for me actually making money off the stipend they gave us. I suspect I'll be happy to just break even, but it's completely worth making the memories that will last me forever. So, instead of picking a nerdy neuroscience topic, I'm just going to add a bunch of pictures and tell a little about my life outside of academics.

This past friday, my entire program took a trip to the famous Bronx Zoo! After a morning presentation on the research done by the zoo's conservation department, we had free reign of the park. I tried my best to see every animal, but after 5 hours was still unsuccessful. 

One of the most impressive exhibits was the gorilla area. I've never seen so many of the large primates! Of course, I did my best to imitate the ape life....


Oh yeah, and then that same day a group of my friends and I went to see Swan Lake at the Metropolitan Opera House. So incredible! I went from spending all day in the sun, to getting dressed up for a classy night on the town.













Here are some of the lovely ladies who accompanied me to the ballet. We actually had more guys in our group than girls, but my camera wasn't used to take the big group shot. Still, I'd say it shows the kind of people who are a part of SURP in that even the guys are willing to spend Friday night at the ballet.

AND HAVE I MENTIONED THE FOOD?!?!?! Seriously though, I'm at risk to gain 50 lb. here! There's just so much new cuisine to try! The above picture is of udon from a very legitimate Japanese noodle shop. It was the perfect lunch before going to Central Park to see a free production of The Comedy of Errors. And yeah, and I spotted this guy:


BALTO!
Lastly, I spent Sunday chilling in a park before going to a Polish restaurant to celebrate my heritage and eat meat and potatoes till I was stuffed. As my last name indicates, I'm very Polish on my dad's side. But besides pierogis when I was little, I had never really been introduced to real Polish food. Luckily, I finally got that chance this weekend!
A sampler plate with pierogis, sausage, sauerkraut, and meat and barley
wrapped in cabbage. VERY Polish.
No meal would be complete without blood sausage. It
was salty, but otherwise not bad. Oh, and of course I
had a traditional Polish beer (or 2).


No comments:

Post a Comment