Tuesday, April 3, 2012

NeurOlympics

Instead of learning new information in class yesterday, I was afforded the chance to show the progress I've made thus far- both in the classroom and outside.  Because besides today being an exam day in Neural Systems, it was also the long awaited NeurOlympics!
Free t-shirts went to all competitors!
For those of you unaware of this tradition, allow me to explain the premises.  The UT Synapse Neuroscience Club hosts this trivia game show style competition.  Three teams of 4 compete for eternal nerd glory and pretty sweet trophies.
Trophies were handmade
by the wonderful officer Devon!

Questions ranged from psychology, medicine, neurobiology, ion channels, and so much besides!  I participated as part of the "Basal Gang of Four" along with some friends from the club.  I feared that I hadn't taken enough upper division neuroscience classes to be of any help.  My tea members were all older and further along in their degree plans.  However, I proved myself worthy of a few points.

Still, by the end of the first round (out of 3, plus a bonus round) my team was last.  Amazingly, we only gained speed and points from there.  More assertive "buzzing in" and conferring with team members before answering racked up the points.  I honestly believed we wouldn't do well because of our lagging start.  But when all the points were tallied, we proved victorious!
My lucky neuron jewelry
I wore to battle.

I know this was just a small, nerdy competition done for fun.  But I can honestly say I'm proud of myself.  I contributed to our success and proved to myself that I really am learning more everyday.  I'm definitely no expert but if I keep moving at this pace, I know I can create a successful career in neuroscience!
That's right, the Nernst equation!

No comments:

Post a Comment