Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Memory Trace Theory and What it Means to Remember

Here at the University of Texas, there's a whole department devoted to the study of learning and memory.  There is constant ongoing research regarding the subject of memory consolidation and other similar topics so we are by no means close to understanding the full processes.  However, just going over the current theory for memory caught me as a bit sad in a strange way.

Memory trace theory holds that when we first experience an event, it is recorded as a declarative memory in the hippocampus.  But with further recall (aka- reliving or remembering the event), it turns into a set of semantic information and is stored throughout the neocortex.
Your memory isn't like storage space in a computer.  It's a
constant organic process.

But memories are just memories, right?  Nope.  Our brains aren't a recorder or a photo album.  When we make the jump from declarative memories (life instances) to semantic (collection of facts), so much is lost.  We will never hold the full memory ever again.  And over time, the semantic facts we've collected can shift and change.  This explains when you and a friend tell the same story from a year ago but with very different details.

Maybe I'm excessively attached to my recollections.  As I've said before, I am the product of my memories.  My life experiences have made me who I am.  Just the past year and a half of college have given me numerous experiences that have radically altered my view of the world- some for the better and some...not. But when I realize I will never be able to keep the stories of my past unaltered by my own neural processes, I'm aware of how much I have to lose.
These are my 17 journals which I have filled with my life
experiences.  I'm currently on number 18.

I suppose it's a good thing I'm such a avid writer.  I keep a journal and every night for the past 9 years (approximately) I've written two page entries.  Sometimes they lean towards the dull side but more often than not I have a nice little story to tell.  So even if my brain can't keep the facts straight, at least I'll have these journals to serve as my window into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment